The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer is a straight forward 3D printer that is perfect for people who have not used a 3D printer before or who want to produce great printed parts with minimum effort. The MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D printer is for those who have experience with desktop FFF 3D printers and want to take it to the next level or people who are willing to tweak and explore the capabilities of dual extruder printing.
The MakerBot Replicator 2 is optimised to print in PLA and can also print MakerBot Flexible Filament as well as some other filaments. The MakerBot Replicator 2X is optimized to print in ABS plastic.
The MakerBot Replicator 2 is a very good 3D printer and produces great quality parts consistently at a high resolution and tends to work better at 0.1mm layer height than the MakerBot Replicator 2X. These are some things to take into consideration:
- The Replicator 2 has a slightly bigger build volume
- The Replicator 2 is more straight forward to use
- The 2X has a heated build plate and enclosed chamber for printing in ABS
- The 2X has dual extrusion which means you can experiment with features such as dual colour.
The MakerBot Replicator 2 will both print with a higher part quality but if you want the additional ability to print parts in ABS then the MakerBot Replicator 2X is the model for you:
- ABS it slightly more flexible than PLA and it better suited to clips or part which need to be flexed
- ABS is more durable in hot (above 50 degrees C) conditions
- PLA gets a bad rap because it is a biodegradable plastic, but this does not mean it will degrade over a short period of time. Even in the correct conditions it will take a very long time to deteriorate.
- PLA is easy to print with especially for larger parts as it is less prone to curling and warping caused by shrinkage.
- PLA will give a slightly crisper finish
- ABS is slightly easier to remove support material from.
Essentially both the machines are similar in terms of output except for the materials. Ignoring the ABS issue the MakerBot Replicator 2 is actually an easier machine to use and less experience is required so the you can print with a higher success rate.
If you are not sure what model is appropriate for your requirements please contact us